Thursday, January 7, 2010

Help by Video


I do my best to help people as much as I can. In years past, it's been a little hard to really be much help to fellow sharpeners overseas, but with the internet making the world a smaller place, it's not that hard to help pretty much anyone...anywhere.

A good example of this is my friend Theodoros from Cyprus. He has been sharpening for a number of months now and I've been helping him adjust to using his new Wolff equipment. This is an unedited e-mail he recently sent and asked me to share:

This Theo from Cyprus.

I want to thank you for convincing me to buy the Hira-to®. It is an amazing machine with vast capabilities. It provides a sharpening finish that can only compared with that of the manufacturers.

I am using it for few months now and I do not any unsatisfied customer. The contrary they all are extremely happy and they are telling it to there colleagues as well.

The support I am receiving from you is close to none. Thanks a lot once again.

Best regards

Theodoros

Okay...so maybe there was a little lost in translation at the end there. I'm hoping he meant second to none and not close to none, but you get the point. :) Theodoros is happy. So how am I able to offer helpful support to someone so far away? I do so through a very cool online site called Skype.

Skype is a free online video chat service. All a person needs to do to use it is:

1. A Skype account. This is free, but you also have a choice of paid options as well.
2. High-speed access to the internet
3. A video cam for their computer. Actually, you don't really need the cam, but if you don't have one the person you are talking to won't be able to see you. Not as much fun that way!

Through this service I've been able to show Theodoros a number of sharpening techniques I never would have been able to explain over the phone. It's been a great help to both of us.

So why am I telling you this? Well, I figured this worked so well for Theodoros, why not use it more? How 'bout it? Want to give it a try? If you'd like to connect via Skype with me and see how this service will allow me to help you, send me an email with "What's your Skype address" in the subject line or body of the email and I'll send you my Skype address. My email address is jim@wolffind.com. If you'd like to learn a little more about Skype frist, here is their website:

http://www.skype.com

I'm using this service to talk to people in the UK, Austraila, New Zealand, South Africa, and Russia. There's no reason I shouldn't be helping you via online video as well. Let me know if you want to connect!

No comments:

Post a Comment