Thursday, November 20, 2008

BE SURE TO SEAT THE WASHER


I was talking to a sharpener the other day and he was asking me about a problem he runs up against from time-to-time. He said that on occasion, a pair of shears he's sharpened will come loose in the pivot and he has to go back and tighten them up. I told him he needs to do a better job of seating the washer.

What many sharpeners don't realize is that when you put a high end shear back together, the washer under the head of the screw doesn't always cup back over the head properly. You need to give the shear a good wiggle to get the washer to pop into position. This is simple to do, but you need to do it properly so you don't damage the screw. It's good that this fellow needs to learn a little more about this, because he's a subscriber to On The Edge* and I just finished an article on this topic for the December Issue.

Most sharpening issues are not difficult to fix, it just takes a little knowledge to overcome them. If you ever have sharpening questions, I hope you know you are welcome to call me and I'll try to help how ever I can.

Image: wolffind.com

*On The Edge is a 12 page monthly newsletter that is designed especially for Scissors Sharpeners and Clipper Blade Sharpeners! A one year subscription is only $39.95 for the paper version or $34.95 for the electronic version. If you'd like to order a subscription to On The Edge, or find out more, please call 864-909-3381.

No comments:

Post a Comment