Monday, July 20, 2009

Restoring a Shear on the Wolff Hira-To® Scissors Sharpener

Last week I told you I'd be putting up a video of a shear restoration job I did on the Wolff Hira-To® Scissors Sharpening System. Here is the video:



Let me give a quick run down of what I did on this YouTube video on the blog as well.

I started by tipping the shears down on the Twice as Sharp® Scissors Sharpener. I could have also tipped the tips down on the Hira-To® with an 80 or 60 micron disc, but the Twice as Sharp® was readily available so I chose that route.

I then chamfered the inside top of the ride area. I did this so I could re-align the hone line all the way from the tip to the back of the ride area. The reason I had to do this was the shear had been sharpened so many times, the ride area was too far above the cutting edge to re-create a good hone line. Removing the metal on the upper inside of the ride area allowed me to re-create the hone line across the entire length of the inside the shear so the shear would cut in the early entry area of the blades.

You'll also noticed that I used a 1000 grit Shapton water stone to re-create the hone line. I could have used the 6000 grit water stone, but that would have taken more time. Wolff does not sell the 1000 grit stone, but if you'd like to buy one you can find them here:

www.shaptonstones.com

After re-working the inside of both blades I then re-convexed the front surface of each blade with a 60 micron disc. When finished, I pulled the burrs back with my 6000 grit shapton water stone and sharpened the shear just like any other shear on the Hira-To® Scissors Sharpener. Here is the video showing the overview of this sharpening process:



If you have any questions, please give me a call at Wolff at 800-888-3832 or e-mail me at Jim@wolfffind.com. If you e-mail me, be sure to include your phone number just in case I need to call to answer some of your questions.

Restoring a shear like this is fun, but it's not a money maker. I think I had about 40 to 45 minutes in restoring this shear. So if you choose to take something like this on, be sure you have the time and be will to trade about an hour to make a good impression.

To find out more about the Hira-To® Flat Hone Sharpening System, visit the Hira-To web site:
www.hira-to.com

Sign up by email. It's free!!
Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

2 comments:

  1. Great video- love the chamfering procedure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great video, vey informative.
    Have to get me some more warer stones!

    Dave Lindfield

    ReplyDelete