Friday, April 23, 2010

Stainless Steel


As you can imagine, stainless steel is a topic that comes up a lot throughout my day. What grade? What's the hardness? What makes one steel better than another? What happens when you mix different metals? All good questions. So where can you go to find some answers? Right here on the internet.

One of the great things about living in the 21st century is that information is no further away that the touch of a few buttons. Is all the information solid and reputable? Maybe not, but it's there. Just be sure when you read anything on the web that you go into it with the mindset of chewing up the meat and spiting out the bones, but I digress.

One of my students called me the other day and ask me to point him in the right direction when it comes to researching stainless steel. I sent him a few links and wanted to pass them on to you too. Here are the three I sent:

Stainless Steel
Rockwell Hardness
Fun Video Comparing Steel to Cake

Take a look at these sites and others like them. One of the most important things you can do as a professional sharpener is keep yourself informed. Let me know what you learn, and if you have any questions, I'm just an email away. :)

Image : underclasscameraman

No comments:

Post a Comment