Wednesday, November 12, 2008

LOOKS LIKE I'LL NEED A NEW CARRIER


It looks like I may have to change the way I do my pick up and delivery service for my sharpening business. I found this in business week:

Package delivery company DHL may have conquered the world, but it admitted on Nov. 10 that it couldn't conquer the U.S. The unit of Germany's Deutsche Post (DPWGN.DE ) announced it will stop making express deliveries within the U.S., close all of its 18 main distribution hubs there, and lay off all but a few thousand of its remaining 13,000 U.S. workers.

Although DHL will continue to make deliveries to and from the U.S. and other countries, its withdrawal from the domestic express business is another setback for a blue chip German company in the world's biggest market. (Click here to read the rest of the article)

I need to call to find out if this means that they'll be halting all ground deliveries as well just to be sure, but it sure looks like the company has crumbled according to this article. I've been using DHL for a few years now and they've done a great job. Much better than one of the other carriers I use from time-to -time!

This goes to show that in this economy, you need to be prepared to roll with the punches. You need to stay focused and on top of your game. Watching your overhead and providing stellar service are two musts right now! I'll let you know what happens as I look into other carrier options.

PS - Sorry for all the silence. I've been away for the past few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment